Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Paris and Returning to Facebook

Lent is over! So, I'm back to Facebook.

I have to say, I debated getting back on (but of course I did get back on). I've been so productive, and I've rediscovered old hobbies and interests. And, it was nice not to worry about other peoples business.

I'm so nosey.

I read somewhere that it takes 28 days to break/make a habit. I was off Facebook for 40 days, so surely that's enough to break the habitual-constant-never-ending use. I think so.

We went to Paris! It was wonderful. It really was. We had some delicious food, (and some sub-par food) delicious (tiny) glasses of wine and (tiny) cups of coffee. We hit the major sights: The Lourve museum, the Orsay Museum, Notre Dame Cathedral, St. Chapell at the Conciergerie, the Eiffel Tower, the Concorde, the Arch Di Triomphe, and the Champs elysees. 

The Seine river at night

Eiffel Tower at night

Breakfast. The traditional French breakfast is a Croissant, a piece of baguette, orange juice and coffee. It came with a very Parisian price tag of 9 euro, ($12)

beautiful bridge


This bridge crossing the Seine is from Napoleon

Notre Dame


Ridiculous lines...

Too dark inside the Cathedral to get any good shots. 

Here is a piece of one of the nails, and a piece of the cross Christ was crucified on. We really wanted to see the Crown of Thorns, (which is kept here) but apparently it was on display that day? Whatever.



This is Saint Chappell. Amazing stained glass.





The Lourve





Mona Lisa! (It's so small) 


Breastfeeding at the Lourve :)




Venus Di Milo


This is Van Gogh's self portait at the Orsay museum. The Orsay museum has a lot more recognizable paintings from Monet, Degas, Renoir. Apparently, you aren't supposed to take photos inside the Orsary---so this is the only shot I got. 


















The American Embassy (McDonalds) here sells Macaroons. 

The super crowded Champs Elysees. 

Arch Di Triumph








 Parts of Paris did not meet my expectations:

1. It's not glamorous or romantic. In fact, it's very gritty--very urban. Crowded, loud, overflowing with traffic, and filled not-so-pretty sights. We took the train to Paris. We arrived at 9:00 p.m., and we thought it'd be a great idea to walk from the train station to our hotel, "So we can see Paris at night!." In most European cities I've been in, the train station is right next to all the action. Not in Paris. The train station is 5 miles away. Our hotel was a few blocks south of the Eiffel Tower. I thought, "We'll just hop off the train, spot the Eiffel Tower, head that way--and then glance at a map to find a hotel." When we get off the train....there was no Eiffel Tower. Just the dark, gritty, underbelly of Paris. We turned our phone on to use the Google maps to walk (for 2 hours) to our hotel. Needless to say, on the way home--we took the bus to the train station.

2. It's touristy even when it's not tourist season. Sometimes it didn't feel very "french" because it appeared that 9 out of every 10 people where tourists. It had a Disneyland quality about it that I was not expecting. 

3. I was not surrounded by Eucharist-wafer-thin ladies. BUT--no one (besides the tourists) was overweight. Everyone was normal sized. Average height, weight, and appearance. So, maybe "French women don't get fat" but they sure don't get super skinny either. 

4. No one was wearing stripes, red lipstick, and a black beret. 

5. The croissants and baguettes did not blow my mind. They were delicious; and they were just as delicious as the croissants and baguettes I had already tasted. 


But, it was an amazing trip. I couldn't believe we looking at those sights in person. I hope you had a happy Easter too! I'm sure you were too busy to keep up with my Letters so, just so you know--I blogged twice on my hiatus from FB. Feel free to catch up. ; ) 

4 comments:

  1. Well, I guess I will just go back to NYC instead of thinking I have to go to Paris! (I love NYC!) I do hear the WWII cemeteries in France are beautiful! Glad you took the time to upload pictures for us to see! I am also extremely happy you made it safely on your TWO HOUR walk with a baby to your hotel!! Only young people do stuff like that!!! (We were crazy young parents a long time ago, but I still remember!) LOL Love you and your absolutely wonderful letters. I feel as though I have just had a conversation with you every time I read one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I'm a new follower and have really enjoyed looking though your posts. (I clicked over here from someone else's blog and now I can't remember which one.) Your daughter is absolutely adorable!

    I've so enjoyed your posts that I've chosen you for a bloggy award! http://daydreaminginturquoise.blogspot.com/2012/04/awards-and-some-random-fun-facts-about.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. you two are so fun. what a blessed little family! "oh, ava...and this picture captures when we took you to paris...." :) i love keeping up with you guys! and i'm jealous of your little excursion, even if it was kind of gritty. the no stripes/beret/red lipstick was the most disappointing observation! that's such a bummer to my mind's eye!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I nominated your blog for the Liebster Blog Award because I just love it so much. You can check out my post about it. :-)

    ReplyDelete